Today we are going to make something that everyone loves to eat and is a classic in the United States—fries! For this recipe we are using sweet potatoes, but you can use whatever roots you want—russet potatoes, carrots, or other roots—and roast them in the oven.
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- (optional) 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- (optional) 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- (optional) 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- (optional) 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- (optional) 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Cut the root vegetables you chose into stripes as big or as small as you like to eat your fries.
- In a bowl, place your potatoes, pour the olive oil over them, and salt. Add any of the seasonings you want (have your child measure them with measuring spoons.)
- After you place the oil and the seasoning, lay the seasoned potatoes on the baking sheet one by one.
- Bake the potatoes for about 20-25 minutes until the edges are slightly brown and the center is soft. Stick a fork in them to see if they are cooked.
- Enjoy with your favorite condiment!